Very much a beginner learning the ropes 

we went 2/4 caught two small kings I believe one may have been a steel head 

1st fish was on a large dreamweaver glow paddle with a pickled sunshine fly on a Dipsey rod 125 back in 67 fow sog 2.6 

2nd fish was on a rigger 50 down in 87 fow Wonderbread mag glow spoon 

missed what would have probably been the largest fish I’ve ever caught on the dipsey with the white dreamweaver paddle and PS fly still kicking myself thinking I should have loosened the drag and let it run . I still don’t know if Im terrible at tying knots or if I had the drag too tight .. I assume it was my knot because I lost my diver snubber paddle and fly . 50lb power pro came back without a swivel:/ 

4th fish miss on the wonderbread mag on the rigger set at 55 in about 89 fow 

mall the action for me was 7:30 am -8:30 am  

still learning hoping to land larger fish and learn more I still have to land a mature king . 

• Like 2

Many thanks for the post.  You did well this morning as the fish are still very scattered.

I lost a lot of gear back in the day when I was learning how to troll for salmon.  You are not alone.  Regarding knots for dipseys, I recommended the Double Line Uni Knot.  It is a Fluorocarbon knot but works just as well for mono.  The advantage is that it does not create line burn when sinched down and does not compress the knot as well.  I have found two versions of this knot on video.  The one below is my personal choice.  It is much easier to tie - faster and can be done in low light.

One other suggestion.  Every time I go out I retie the knot on the snap swivels of my dipsey rod.  I try to take any sun damage, nicks, stress, and so on out of the equation.

Tight lines and catch em all !

• Like 1

Thank you for the info. You are running the right stuff in the right place. We never stop learning when it comes to salmon fishing.  do not be ashamed of being a beginner or a rookie. we all were sometime. I also run the Uni not on all my set ups and I re-tie the  knots on dipsy set ups quite often. No need to run your drag tight either. Let those big kings run and they will get tired. There is no hurry to get them in the boat,  if they are hooked up good you will get them.

did you fish straight out of the harbor or did you go north or south this morning? And again, thank you for the detailed information.

• Like 1

It takes time to get all the gear working correctly and figure out the mood of the fish. If boat traffic is heavy, then we go north too. 
re-tie your snap swivels and loosen your drags a little. You’ll catch fish 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other thing that could have happened is the diver could have gotten twisted when letting out. I always try to let them out under tension. Also check your snubbers and run them I lost a flasher fly a couple weeks ago due to a dry rotted snubber.These fish are big and mean this year.

• Like 2

Very much a beginner learning the ropes 
we went 2/4 caught two small kings I believe one may have been a steel head 
1st fish was on a large dreamweaver glow paddle with a pickled sunshine fly on a Dipsey rod 125 back in 67 fow sog 2.6 
2nd fish was on a rigger 50 down in 87 fow Wonderbread mag glow spoon 
missed what would have probably been the largest fish I’ve ever caught on the dipsey with the white dreamweaver paddle and PS fly still kicking myself thinking I should have loosened the drag and let it run . I still don’t know if Im terrible at tying knots or if I had the drag too tight .. I assume it was my knot because I lost my diver snubber paddle and fly . 50lb power pro came back without a swivel:/ 
4th fish miss on the wonderbread mag on the rigger set at 55 in about 89 fow 
mall the action for me was 7:30 am -8:30 am  
still learning hoping to land larger fish and learn more I still have to land a mature king . 

Learn the double uni knot your line won’t let you down, plus the gear is expensive and it the gear the fish already hit good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman