Holland 8/15 morning trip

Sad & scary what we encountered leaving the pier heads this morning:

https://whtc.com/2024/08/15/holland-woman-thrown-into-water-after-boat-crash-with-pier-head/

Thankfully no one drown or was killed in the crash!

Setup in 150fow at around 7am

Got a double in 158fow

Took a 3 more hits in the hours that follow

Ended up 4for5

Super high winds & current and the lake was really really building out of the south and that made it tricky, especially considering the fish we were targeting were down 90-130

A couple larger boats just kept trolling west but Parker stuck around… I wonder how they did? Sure was getting rough out there.

What worked for PUG:

158fow Copp350 with an extra 200ft of mono let out at the end to get it down just a little more – kevins girlfriend SD blue version and blue fly – 18# king aka our biggest fish of morning

158fow Deep dipsey dialed on 1 out 190 on white SD greenfly

162fow Another on same SD

151fow Deep dipsey dialed on 3 out 290 wonder bread jplug (thanks for the color suggestion ZGRINDER!)

125fow White paddle on rigger down 120

Gonna be rough now til at least Monday but the lake should flip over, which makes PUG excited

20240815_103338.jpg

Screenshot_20240815_063850_Chrome.jpg

20240815_063426.jpg

20240815_084129.jpg

20240815_091910.jpg

• Like 4

This sort of thing happens more often in Muskegon or Manistee with the arms around the pier.  Not very common for Holland though.  I honestly can sympathize for the guy and kinda picture how he might have made the mistake.  That weather station (that we swear by in the fall) deep inside the Holland channel flickers green and because it is directly across from the lighthouse I suppose it could allow for someone mistaking it as the tip of the north pier?  I don’t know… sad & scary situation and just glad everyone lived.

Thanks for the shout out 2MD and so happy you boated and nice big king in rough water.  PUG is a master on the net.  Need a video of that :).  We were coming in last night about that time directly east to the harbor mouth and I had two boats on radar and in visual on a plane coming into the harbor from the south.  It may have been one of them but I never looked at the break wall coming in and with the engines so loud on a plane, never going to hear a wreck.  There were also two boats in front of Fin Warrior in the channel so who was who I don't know.  Thank god no kids got hurt.  Grandpa would have never forgiven himself.  As a side note, a couple of years ago, two teenagers and best childhood friends lost control of a Zodiac outside the mouth of the harbor and went into the water.  One made it out, the other got cut down by the prop swimming back to the boat.  The kid that made it out was the son of an employee of mine at the time.  It was a dark time for many, many days.  There is no way to erase events like that.