Set out on a short evening float with Janet, pushing off after 6:00pm.  Ran almost straight out and set down in 110FOW pointing south to south west.  Four rigger two dipsey program for the night.  After replacing two Off Shore clips on the downrigger balls Janet was setting down, finally got the dipsey down on my side of the boat.  Before I could get the first of two riggers down, the SB dipsey went off.  Did not zero in speed or depth at that point but what the heck.  Boated a nice 12# king - good start.  Then after getting all the gear finally down, we were in 140 FOW which I had not intended to get out that far but there we were.  About an hour passed before we got back into shallower water and crossed a massive ball of bait stretching from 30' down to almost the sea bead.  After passing through, the the port rigger with a white paddle and fly popped and we boated an 8# coho per Janet's call on the ID.   Got that back down after two attempts as the paddle was getting into the SWR.  Shortly thereafter, SWR with a charged glow mag Blue Jeans went into full song.  Based on the score lines on the spool, I estimate about 400' of line that got ripped off.  Then the battle was on.  The white SD/fly on the adjacent rigger got severed in the run so we tucked that rod away.  The Squall II drag was cranked almost to the no limit zone and I could not gain on the fish without neutral drops.  We did that for 15-20 min then the King decided to let go of the hook and it was all over.  The spoon was tipped with what I call a stout big king VMC hook which did not bend but upon inspection, it looked like only one hook was deep set based on the material left behind.  My day to land a 20#+ king this year will have to wait for another day.  After getting SWR back down, we got bit again.  Downrigger down 60' tipped with a blue SD and fly took a small king that was hooked lightly allowing us to release it.  Before pulling lines, the mono dipsey with the mag Blue Dolphin got bit again but the fish came off in the fight.  We pulled lines just after sunset.  Overall, we had action between 120-114FOW but not any deeper.  We never did get to under 100FOW as I had planned.  Nice action for a very limited float tonight.

# Time Fish Weight FOW Latitude Troll Wind Dir. Speed @ Ball Rod Bait Depth Bait Temp Bait
1 6:55pm King 12 120   SW SW 2 Dipsey - Mono 63' 44 Mag Blue Dolphin foil
2 7:58pm Coho 8 125   S SW 2.2 DR 20# 66'@ball   White SD / White fly
3 8:20pm King   118   N SW 2.5 SWR 70'@ball   Glow Blue Jeans
4 8:50pm King 5 117   NE SW 2.4 DR 20# 60'@ball   Blue SD / Blue fly
5 9:05pm King   114   NE SW 2.4 Dipsey - Mono 45' 48 Mag Blue Dolphin foil
  • Like 4