Hi Ya’all

New to this forum and trolling the big water. Recently got a Tracker Tundra and I have set it up for trolling. Got a pair of manual downriggers installed. Also have a couple of dipsey’s

Went out from Grand Haven this morning ing (7/15) in the rain. Blanked for the day after 4 hours. Fished 50-60’. For a 1.5 hours then moved to -about 100’. Green spoons and flies. 50-60’ down.

Given the choice should I stay at GH, or move south to Holland or Port Sheldon?

We are on vacation for the week on would like to get something in the boat.

Also tied up some meat rigs. I brought some Yellow Bass we caught, that I cut and brined. Plan to try those tomorrow

Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I don't know that the fishing out of Holland or PS is any better than Grand Haven.  There is no structure to hold fish in this area and fish stocking in Lake Macatawa has been infrequent.  Suggest finding a tackle or bait shop in your area and talk to them.  They usually have a handle on where the fish are and what they are biting over the last few days.

Second, I would put some powder blue flies and blue spoons down even if you are only fishing down 50-60'.  Kings and SH like blue offerings.

Third, consider adding a high line to the mix - like 35-40' down targeting SH.  10-color lead will get you there if you have it.  If not, a dipsey with a ring will do (100' of line out on a 1.5 side set if trolling under 2.5mph, add another 20' if trolling faster.  These are my approximations from using Smart Troll probes on my gear).  Lure choices might be a reg size silver-blue spoon or something with orange in it.  Coho may hit this as well.

Last, the traditional approach is to set down and troll West-East until you get into some action then North-South.  Many boats run NW or SW to start.  This is smart.  Personally, I like to start against the current with a NW or SW troll then make decisions from there.  This is just my choice, everyone has their own formula that they like the best.

One more thing I feel compelled to add.  At the depth your putting the bait down and with a rigger/diver mix, I would set the downrigger leads at 2.5 to 3.5 passes.  A pass is one level wind across the reel in one direction or 9-11' of line depending on your reel.  I don't know if anyone uses that term anymore.  When I bring it up on my boat with someone I have not fished with before, I have to explain it.  This will keep your spread tight and draw fish in.  The long line guys don't fish this way but that is a long conversation for another time.

Catch'em all your next time out!

• Like 1

I don't know that the fishing out of Holland or PS is any better than Grand Haven.  There is no structure to hold fish in this area and fish stocking in Lake Macatawa has been infrequent.  Suggest finding a tackle or bait shop in your area and talk to them.  They usually have a handle on where the fish are and what they are biting over the last few days.
Second, I would put some powder blue flies and blue spoons down even if you are only fishing down 50-60'.  Kings and SH like blue offerings.
Third, consider adding a high line to the mix - like 35-40' down targeting SH.  10-color lead will get you there if you have it.  If not, a dipsey with a ring will do (100' of line out on a 1.5 side set if trolling under 2.5mph, add another 20' if trolling faster.  These are my approximations from using Smart Troll probes on my gear).  Lure choices might be a reg size silver-blue spoon or something with orange in it.  Coho may hit this as well.
Last, the traditional approach is to set down and troll West-East until you get into some action then North-South.  Many boats run NW or SW to start.  This is smart.  Personally, I like to start against the current with a NW or SW troll then make decisions from there.  This is just my choice, everyone has their own formula that they like the best.
One more thing I feel compelled to add.  At the depth your putting the bait down and with a rigger/diver mix, I would set the downrigger leads at 2.5 to 3.5 passes.  A pass is one level wind across the reel in one direction or 9-11' of line depending on your reel.  I don't know if anyone uses that term anymore.  When I bring it up on my boat with someone I have not fished with before, I have to explain it.  This will keep your spread tight and draw fish in.  The long line guys don't fish this way but that is a long conversation for another time.
Catch'em all your next time out!

Thanks! The fly I was using today was blue. The body is off the shelf from Jann’s tackle. It looks white in the are but turns kind of an irredesent blue like it is lite up with UV light.
I appreciate the advice and I get it on the passes for leads.
We see what tomorrow brings with more storms tonight

• Like 1

I agree with everything Zgrinder said. My opinion your best bet is to stick to one port and do your best to learn it. Keep working zones in/out north/south in Grand Haven until you find some hits! 

The weather buoy out of Port Sheldon (https://limno.io/station/45029/), just south of GH is also a very useful tool. I typically target water around 49 degrees and as you can see in the buoy data the South winds have blown in a lot of warmer water and moved that "sweet spot" to 60-80ft down, which means Kings have probably moved deeper in at least 100-140FOW range. Over the weekend we had cooler water and break point was around 40ft down so I was hitting nice kings in 90-110FOW... The strong South winds pushed that break point deeper, so last night I was getting kings in 120-140FOW and 60-80ft down (Out of Holland). 

The King bite will always be best the hour of sunrise & sunset (6-7am & 8:30pm-9:30pm). It's absolutely worth the early mornings and late nights! The simplest and most cost effective lure during those times in my opinion are the Moonshine RV magnum spoons (green jeans, blue jeans, five eyes), or a Dreamweaver A-Bomb spoon. Meat Rigs also work extremely well, Dreamweaver Kevin's GF and pickled sunshine are classics that work very well, or anything green/chrome. Most local bait shops will sell Familiar Bite Atlantic Herring cut bait for meat rigs that works very well (I know Mac Baits in Holland does). I'd be very curious to know if your Yellow Bass works tho! 

Keep us posted on how you do! Always happy to share info with new big lake guys. 

The link again: 

https://limno.io/station/45029/

• Like 2

I agree with everything Zgrinder said. My opinion your best bet is to stick to one port and do your best to learn it. Keep working zones in/out north/south in Grand Haven until you find some hits! 
The weather buoy out of Port Sheldon (https://limno.io/station/45029/), just south of GH is also a very useful tool. I typically target water around 49 degrees and as you can see in the buoy data the South winds have blown in a lot of warmer water and moved that "sweet spot" to 60-80ft down, which means Kings have probably moved deeper in at least 100-140FOW range. Over the weekend we had cooler water and break point was around 40ft down so I was hitting nice kings in 90-110FOW... The strong South winds pushed that break point deeper, so last night I was getting kings in 120-140FOW and 60-80ft down (Out of Holland). 
The King bite will always be best the hour of sunrise & sunset (6-7am & 8:30pm-9:30pm). It's absolutely worth the early mornings and late nights! The simplest and most cost effective lure during those times in my opinion are the Moonshine RV magnum spoons (green jeans, blue jeans, five eyes), or a Dreamweaver A-Bomb spoon. Meat Rigs also work extremely well, Dreamweaver Kevin's GF and pickled sunshine are classics that work very well, or anything green/chrome. Most local bait shops will sell Familiar Bite Atlantic Herring cut bait for meat rigs that works very well (I know Mac Baits in Holland does). I'd be very curious to know if your Yellow Bass works tho! 
Keep us posted on how you do! Always happy to share info with new big lake guys. 
The link again: 
https://limno.io/station/45029/

Sorry to keep copying the post but the dang app/iPhone won’t let me do a straight reply
I need a road map to all these spoon descriptions!
We tried to get out this morning but it was too lumpy. Try again tomorrow or maybe this evening
That for the buoy link. Another helpful tool.

Haha, here’s a picture of the moonshine spoons: Blue Jeans, Five Eyes, and Green Jeans. You can look them up on fishusa or Captain chuck’s II websites. Most local tackle shops along the lakeshore will carry Moonshine and/or Dreamweaver products, just say the names and they’ll know what you’re talking about. 

Tomorrow morning looks like it has the best conditions potential to get out there, but we’re going through a windy stretch this week. 

IMG_6949.thumb.png.aa3f4d85c0aeb1f9327145de49442be3.png

ALL excellent advice - I would only add a few more salient points....

1 - You didn't mention what speed you were trolling - that's critical, and I like to start around 2.5 MPH then speed up or down if fish are not being triggered to bite - use a zig-zag pattern when trolling to speed up and slow down the baits on the inside/outside of your set up.  If you find them hitting on the outside of your turns - then speed up your presentation a bit - if they hit on the inside when you turn - slow down a bit and continue to dial that in. That's tells you what speed you should be centering around, don't be afraid to speed faster - sometimes 3-3.5 MPH is the ticket. If you don't have a down speed sensor - then watch your rigger cable angles when you get a strike to help discern the proper speed at the ball. 

2 - Color is important - but most things blue/green/orange etc - will trigger hits - so don't get too caught up chasing a bunch of baits - start with the basics. Moonshine RV spoons, some green, white, blue patterned spin doctors or flashers, and some similar colored flys with the correct leader length (rule of thumb is 3-3.5x length of flasher = leader length in  inches. 8" flsher = about 22-24" leader for fly...

3 - Temps are & can be important this time of year - find those temp breaks and fish them at angles when you find fish and stay on them until speed/colors/etc turns on - don't leave fish and bait to find other fish - unless you have to!

Attached is an article that you may find helpful too - we are heading up to Muskegon or Ludington Friday & Sat. - we hope to find some too - tight lines...

The Stability Zone.docx

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 4:32 PM, Carpfisher said:

Hi Ya’all

New to this forum and trolling the big water. Recently got a Tracker Tundra and I have set it up for trolling. Got a pair of manual downriggers installed. Also have a couple of dipsey’s

Went out from Grand Haven this morning ing (7/15) in the rain. Blanked for the day after 4 hours. Fished 50-60’. For a 1.5 hours then moved to -about 100’. Green spoons and flies. 50-60’ down.

Given the choice should I stay at GH, or move south to Holland or Port Sheldon?

We are on vacation for the week on would like to get something in the boat.

Also tied up some meat rigs. I brought some Yellow Bass we caught, that I cut and brined. Plan to try those tomorrow

Any advice is appreciated.

You should be fine fishing out of Grand Haven but would suggest making a run down towards Port Sheldon. With the weather, wind and waves the last few days the fish will have moved around a bit. The last week or so the fish have been in tight (80 fow out to 140 fow). Don't be afraid to push further off shore. 

Of you go out of Grand Haven, I would run half way to Port Sheldon and start in 80fow. Set a troll west southwest and find the fish. I would try to get lines in the water by 5:30am. Current and finding a good line will dictate your troll angle. O have been having good luck with meetrigs and flasher/fly program trolling at 1.8-2.2 at the ball. If you run flasher/fly and spoons I would run at 2.2-2.5. Meatrigs need to be run slow to be effective. 

I would run spoons and flasher/flies early and things that glow. 2.2-2.5 to cover distance as quick as possible to locate fish. Once light cones up you can slow it down and put some meet into the program.

Lately these lures have worked for us.

Spoons: Dirty White Boy, green flounder pounder, half green jeans, wonderbread, green and blue dancing anchovies, green hulk and soda. 

Flasher fly: 8"double white slick w/pickle sunshine or KRW green/blue HD fly, Salmon candy Megatron in silver or white paddle with similar fly combination. Proking dragon slayer as well green crinkle fly

Meatrigs: 10" SD crush glow with pickle rig. 8" White paddle glow green fish scale and crush glow and green gasoline meat rig

20240716_123536.jpg

20240705_141825.jpg

20240705_141809.jpg

20240705_141736.jpg

20240621_105616.jpg

20240621_105745.jpg

• Like 1