7-7-24 Holland. Sorry to start and need your help.

Hi everyone.

Hey, I went out this evening north of Holland in 130fow. and had a huge debacle. We caught a nice 24lber. While I was netting the fish my niece 180'd the boat and it took out 8 rods. I lost everything. Planer boards, four dipseys, meatrigs and flasher flies. All the copper on 5 rods 225, 250, 300, 325, 350. 3 out of my 4 wire rods got half spooled and wrapped around prop. Which, now has to come apart and get new seals which involves pulling the lower unit bearing assembly. 

Total mess to say the least. Anyway, if my stuff on planer boards screws anyone up... I am very sorry. If anyone happens to find my boards, they are ninja boards with my name and numer on them. If you have any reels that are empty, you might get a bunch of free copper to spool.

I hope someone finds my boards and is nice enough to return them and any of the equipment at the business end.

Thank you in advance everyone.

• Sad 4

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for your equipment, Holland is my home port.    I’m sure your niece feels terrible, make sure she knows it was an unfortunate accident.  I always worry when the kids take the helm that this could happen and they can’t be blamed even though that’s a costly mess.  

• Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 2:47 PM, Sven said:

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for your equipment, Holland is my home port.    I’m sure your niece feels terrible, make sure she knows it was an unfortunate accident.  I always worry when the kids take the helm that this could happen and they can’t be blamed even though that’s a costly mess.  

100%. Once we got everything situated and in the boat, I gave three big hugs, told her how much I love her and it was alright these things happen all the time. Tangles are a part of fishing. She will be out with me again soon. She is one of my best fisherman for the Big Red Classic. 

I got a bit of good news today. A guy that was on my boat when it happened went out last night and fished in the same area. They found one of my boards floating and snagged it. I got a board, flasher fly and a spoon back this morning. Maybe I will get some other stuff back over the next couple of days?

Reloading rods today. I have 5 of the eight ready to go. God is good. Fishing is fun.

20240709_165154.jpg

• Like 5

You’re a good Man and Uncle, I assumed you comforted her after that.  It can get so stressful out there sometimes, especially that big mess, we forget it’s all for fun.  Last thing we want is for the next generation to not want to continue the sport.  Sorry for the loss of gear, hopefully what’s lost gets found and it looks like you’ve been already at work replacing tackle.  Thanks for sharing that story I hope it reminds those who read it what’s really important even when the trip takes a turn for the worst.  

• Like 1

100%. Once we got everything situated and in the boat, I gave three big hugs, told her how much I love her and it was alright these things happen all the time. Tangles are a part of fishing. She will be out with me again soon. She is one of my best fisherman for the Big Red Classic. 
I got a bit of good news today. A guy that was on my boat when it happened went out last night and fished in the same area. They found one of my boards floating and snagged it. I got a board, flasher fly and a spoon back this morning. Maybe I will get some other stuff back over the next couple of days?
Reloading rods today. I have 5 of the eight ready to go. God is good. Fishing is fun.
20240709_165154.thumb.jpg.dca463ae9856e43d60cabe1b968830a9.jpg

IMG_8525.JPGyou’re in the lead for this season so far on the what just happened , glad you take it well$$$ won’t matter it’s the
Memory and I’m sure she will remember even when her Capt is gone and get a laugh , everybody wants to be Capt until it’s $$$$&

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman
  • Like 1